I’m excited to share with you one of my most favorite recipes – Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Breakfast Bars!
I thought this amazing bar recipe was lost to the ages. I used to eat these yummy bars at a neighbors house growing up. The closest thing I could ever find to them was a Carmelita which are delicious – but not like my childhood snack. But leave it to the wonder world of social media that a high school friend of my neighbors mother posted a photo of them to Facebook one day. Not even 24 hours later I had made myself my very own batch.
I’m not picky about my breakfasts – savory, sweet, salty, baked I’ll eat just about anything. My better half is a sweet breakfast person if I can get him to eat anything at all. So these sweet treats are a perfect morning solution. Although these are called “breakfast” bars – I usually make them in the afternoon and they are gone before dinner. But they do offer a protein rich very sweet option for an early morning (or late afternoon) snack. These are great for making ahead and potlucks as they keep very well and slice into portions very nicely.
If you are looking for a good glass baking dish, I recommend this one. It makes it so easy to store your baked goods or transport them right in the pan.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 - 15 Bars
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 cups Oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 cup Butter at room temperature
- 1 can (14oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/3 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven the 350 F
- Prepare a 9"x11" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, oatmeal salt and baking soda.
- Cut butter into oatmeal mixture making sure it is all evenly mixed with no butter chunks. All dry ingredients should be absorbed by the butter.
- In a medium bowl, mix can of sweetened condensed milk with the peanut butter.
- Press half the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Pour the peanut butter mixture on top spreading evenly. Sprinkle remaining oatmeal mixture on top.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 20-25min.
- Cool before cutting and serving.
Let me know if you try them, and love them as much as I do! Don’t for get to sign up for my newsletter, so you can stay up to date on my next yummy snack!